Tuesday, December 9, 2008

كل عام وأنتم بخير




Happy Eid Al-Adha! (Festival of the Sacrifice!)


Yesterday was the first day of the Festival of the Sacrifice. This is the celebration of the prophet Ibrahim's willingness to sacrifice his only son to God and Muslims worldwide sacrifice cows, buffalos, sheep, goats, and/or camels and distribute the meat to the poor and family and friends.

We sarificed a sheep this year. Mohamed bought it Saturday night and put it out on the balcony, where he stayed until Monday morning. Sunday morning I mopped up after him and then I guess he decided that he'd had just about enough of me and stomped his foot and lowered his head at me....so I decided to mosey on back into the house and just hang my laundry INSIDE the house. That sheep may have won the

"Battle of the Balcony" but Monday afternoon when I was eating him for dinner I decided I'd won the war.


My brothers-in-law sacrificed two gamousas (buffalo) and the kids were just excited

as all get out to watch the sacrifice and butchering and clean up. Samiya was watching out the window with me and was asking the name of each part of the buffalo in both English and Arabic so that she could write them down. That's my girl! Always looking for new vocabulary. She'll be a polyglot yet...just like her Mom.


Soooooo, عيد سعيد
which is pronounced 'Eid Sa-eed and means Happy Feast to all.
I'm going to go eat some more meat!





1 comment:

Monika said...

Happy kill a sheep day back at ya. I don't know about this whole sacrificing live things deal. I would probably vomit on it, which I'm guessing would get me struck by lightning. And I prefer NOT to see the animal live that eventually becomes my dinner.....I love me some meat but if I think about it once breathing, bleating, mooing, or what have you, I feel vaguely guilty. Not guilty enough to survive on soy nuggets, but guilty all the same.