Monday, October 20, 2008

The Genes Show Through

There has been an unspoken tradition on my dad's side of the family for
several generations...the women all cut their hair short once they reach
40. (With the exception of my cousin, Jeanne, who waited until she turned
50...I think.) At any rate, I've never been one to follow trends as I prefer to
set them. So, I figured when I hit the big 4- OH! that I'd just keep my hair
as is....constantly dyed to hide my true age and long so my husband doesn't
flip out.

**sidenote: WHAT the hell is it with men that they can't stand when we cut our
hair short? True, there are some men who totally dig short-haired chicks but
I think the majority of men prefer some sort of mane to grab hold of on their
women. Must date back to the cave-men days. I digress.**

Anyway, Mohamed left for Greece last week and I happened to bop over to the
hair salon to have my friend, Sherine, trim up the edges and cut me some bangs.
She took one look at my hair and asked if I'm losing hair in my comb. I commented
that by the end of the week I can usually pull about a wig's worth out of the bath
drain. She just shook her head and said, "I'm very sorry. But I can't fix it except like
this." And she hacked off my hair. It's just to the top of my shoulders. ZOIKS!
Sooooooooooo glad Mohamed will be gone for the next 3 months so as not to give
me grief about my short yucky hair. I mean, it's not bad....but really. I'm limited as
to what I can do with it. Thank God I'm Muslima. I cover my hair up with a scarf in
public anyway for religious reasons. Now I've a secondary reason to cover it....I look
quite boyish and roundish-of-face. *sigh*

After I got home that night and started to attempt to style my newly acquired (yet
not requested) coiff....I realized that perhaps the Nicholas Hair Hacking at 40 thing
isn't in fact a tradition but a genetic trait. I didn't intentionally do this. But it happened. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. My Nicholas genes are showing through.
Happy BALD Birthday, Baby!

No comments: